Hello parents and students! My name is Carmen Luke. I am so excited to be serving as a Gifted and Talented specialist for Weatherford ISD again this year! This is my tenth year to serve these amazing students. I work with gifted students at Austin and Seguin Elementary Schools as well as other campuses in our district. Weatherford has the absolute best kids in the great state of Texas and I am beyond excited to be leading them again this year! We have amazing plans in store for our students and I look forward to our journey!
Welcome to Quest!
Quest, the WISD gifted and talented program, identifies and serves gifted students in grades kindergarten through twelve. The district program provides a differentiated curriculum in the four core academic areas to meet the needs of the gifted learner. Students engage in a variety of activities in all four (4) core content areas: language arts, science, social studies and mathematics with an emphasis on project and research based learning experiences. Students are provided a learning environment where depth and complexity are the focus in both individual and group settings.
The goals of the program are:
1. Modify the depth, complexity, and pacing of curriculum and instruction to meet the needs of gifted students
2. Provide a learning continuum to reinforce the strengths, needs, and interests of gifted students
3. Encourage community and family participation in the gifted program
4. Provide enhanced learning experiences allowing gifted students to develop innovative products and performances that reflect individuality and creativity and are advanced in relation to students of similar age
When a Quest student is out of their regular classroom, they should…
Be responsible for…
• missed readings
• homework assignments given to whole class
• long-term projects/assignments
• tests over materials that have been previously covered when student was in class
Not be responsible for…
• assignments completed during class
• Pop quizzes
Students will keep binders with quest materials and assignments in the quest classroom.
Students will occasionally have a brief homework assignment for
Quest. Since we only meet once a week, students often forget about this until the last minute, so you might ask your student on the day they have Quest if there is any homework. In the spring, we will do independent research projects that will require some out of class work, but I will send more information on that later.
817-598-2814, ext. 4844
I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with your child this year. It is my goal to challenge them in a safe, fun, and nurturing environment so that each child may become successful in a global community!